Monday 23 November 2015

The inception of Cachet My Home- Interior designer in Gurgaon

I started on this journey of building up Cachet from 2002 when I moved back from the United States. We lived in a quaint little town called Quincy at the outskirts of Boston. My weekends comprised of little pleasurable jaunts to nearby furniture stores – Bernie and Phylls, Jordans, Levitz. It was here that I was introduced to shabby chic décor, hand painted furniture – a far cry from the clear, crisp, almost clinical high gloss finish of the contemporary furniture that is popular in Gurgaon. When I did up my own house in DLF Ph V, it was completely unaided by the internet. Relying solely on a few design books, I boldly ventured into a new territory.
I was aided by a childhood experience which I must narrate at this point. I visited this toyshop with my mother called Paragon in Calcutta when I was five or six years old. I was transfixed by this wooden miniature swing set and a dolls bed – the former was a vision in pink satin and gauze and the latter was of blue satin with a generous dollop of frills and lace. Unfortunately, it was too expensive and my face fell at the sight of the price tag, but my mother, a whiz at sewing went back home and ordered the local carpenter to make the very same swing set and bed which she herself embellished with satin and lace enough to delight any little girl’s heart.
In my DLF flat on the built in section in the passage and the drawing room provided scope for designing; the wardrobes were built along simple lines. We used veneer and melamine matt finish polish for all the woodwork. During those days laminates did not provide a good alternative to natural veneers- they were non-textured and lacked visual interest – a far cry from the variety that is available in the market today.
In fact, the world’s first interior designer started out her career in the very same way – she did up her own house so tastefully that it turned the Jones’ green with envy.

Lamentably, not everything in my house turned out quite the way I planned but one of my neighbors did come to admire my flat and asked me to do up her own. I started out with a three flat contract – both design and execution and have not looked back ever since. 

Now i am establish myself as a best interior designer in Gurgaon my business name is Cachet My Home.

3 comments: